Home » Teach English » The Ultimate List of English Teaching Jobs Abroad

The Ultimate List of English Teaching Jobs Abroad

Last Updated: April 30, 2021

Where to work and teach abroad

English Teaching Jobs Abroad

When it comes to English teaching jobs abroad and online, the sky’s the limit.

Especially if you have a Bachelor’s degree and TEFL certificate, your opportunities are endless.

Not to say you can’t teach English without a degree because it’s entirely possible too.

Let’s get started with some of the top English teaching jobs abroad.

Top Online Teaching Jobs

English Language Teacher

Magic Ears – Earn up to 26$ per hour teaching students online through Magic Ears. Classrooms are typically 1 teacher for every 4 students to create an effective environment for English learning. If you are a talented English teacher who can deliver exciting, engaging online English classes, apply today.

Qkids – Qkids is a leading online education platform that connects North American English teachers with over 1 million international students from ages 4 to 12. It has an organized curriculum so you don’t have to dig any lesson planning.

Top Tier English Teaching Jobs Abroad

ESL Teacher

JET Programme (Japan) – Being an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) is one of the safest and easiest ways to teach English abroad.   But the process is long and difficult to be accepted into the Japanese Exchange Teaching Programme. Upon acceptance, you have no choice in your preferred city and it’s common to be placed in rural/isolated towns or villages.

NET (Hong Kong) – Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) recruits qualified candidates for appointment into the Hong Kong public-sector system. assist in teacher and curriculum development in public-sector primary schools. bachelor’s degree, recognized teacher training qualifications, and a TEFL certificate.

EPIK (South Korea) – The English Program in Korea (EPIK) program is a competitive government placement program in Korean public schools (mostly elementary schools). Treatment is exceptional with fewer work hours, more vacation, orientation, and a more competitive salary. The acceptance criteria are challenging as the number of applicants has risen over the years.

Foreign English Teachers Program (Taiwan) – You will only be accepted into this program if you are already a qualified/licensed teacher in your home country/state. This program is meant for the development of English in the Taiwanese public school system as foreign English teachers and teaching assistants.

Teach Taiwan – Teach Taiwan is a recruiting arm of the Taiwanese government for foreign teachers to work in the public school system. Entrants require a Bachelor’s Degree, a teaching license, and must be a native speaker of English.

Middle Tier English Teaching Jobs Abroad

English Teaching Jobs Abroad

TaLK (South Korea) – Teach and Learn in Korea is a government program for rural teaching jobs placement. You need at least 2 years of post-secondary education for a 6-month or full-year contract.  Similar to EPIK, you get an orientation, health coverage, accommodation, and an above-average salary.

NALCAP (Spain) – The North American Language and Culture Assistants Program (NALCAP) pairs American and Canadian graduates with elementary and secondary schools in Spain. Any native-like speaker can apply and become a teaching assistant (TA).

English Language Fellow Program (United States) – The EL Fellow program is an American that promotes English language learning in more than 80 countries in the world. In a 10-month fellowship program, teachers can participate in everything from classroom teaching to curriculum development.

British Council English Language Assistants (United Kingdom) – This program was first established in 1905 for paid teaching placements. Every year, the British Council sends around 2,500 teachers to 15 separate destinations across the world. To join this program, you require an EU passport, 2 years of university education, and have proficiency in English.

USTA (Austria) – The US Teaching Assistantship in Austria is a way for university graduates from the United States to get first-hand classroom experience in Austria. As a teaching assistant with a native competence level, you help Austrian students build their language skills in all aspects of English.

Eikaiwa (Aeon, GABA, Berlitz) – If you don’t get accepted into the JET Programme, the alternative is to apply for a language school (Eikaiwa).  These specialized language schools are for Japanese people to practice and improve their English language schools. Students range in age from 5 to 90 years old.

Lower Tier English Teaching Jobs Abroad

TEFL Teacher

Hagwon (South Korea) – These extra-curricular programs are for students to get extra time for studying English. Students range in age and can be as young as five years old. This means they are still learning their own local Korean language. Qualifications typically include a Bachelor’s degree and TEFL certificate. Depending on the Hagwons you work in, you may be working long hours with evening and weekend hours.

Buxiban (Taiwan) – A buxiban is an English training center or cram school in Taiwan. It’s a major source of English teacher placement in the country.  Students enroll in a buxiban with the goal to pass their entrance exam into a high school or university.

Council On International Educational Exchange (China) – The Council On International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a non-profit, cultural exchange program for teaching around the world.  It’s not just meant for teaching in China. But China is one of their flagship locations to teach in.  This program sets you up to teach grade-school and university students around China.  

Teaching Assistant Program in France (France) – The Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF) gives you a chance to be employed in a public school in France for 7 months. You have the chance to teach English to students of all ages with a placement of over 1,500 American citizens each and every year.

English Training Centers (China) – These before and after school programs aim at increasing English fluency for students of all ages.  Because the programs are for after school, teachers work in the evenings and weekends.  Generally, you work with a primary language teacher with an average of 30 hours per week.  Some English Training Centers can be very demanding with classes 5 – 10 students.

Peace Corps (Africa, Asia, Europe) – Unlike most of them other paid teacher placement programs in this list, the Peace Corps is mostly volunteer work. For example, this includes countries like Benin, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Rwanda, and Zambia in Africa. Currently, Indonesia and Thailand are the only participant countries in Asia.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistants – The English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Programs provide assistance in the classroom for local English teachers. While serving as a cultural ambassador to the Untied States, ETAs help teach English language in a variety of ways

International English Language Schools


These world-renowned English language schools are the most prominent for English teachers and are known for having locations available for teaching in destinations across the world.

Berlitz – Berlitz is a Japanese-owned company with 500+ company-owned and franchised locations in more than 70 countries. 

Education First (EF) – Most English teaching jobs require a passport, a Bachelor’s Degree from the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa, and ESL certification.

Inlingua – Inlingua language schools offer job opportunities for qualified English teachers in more than 30 countries.

Wall Street English (WSE) – You need a CELTA or equivalent and a university degree to apply for positions with Wall Street English. 

International House (IH) – Similar to WSE, a CELTA is required into the International House for visa sponsorship

Get Fully-TEFL Certified

Do you want to teach abroad or online? Check out our accredited TEFL certification guide. Become a teacher and make a difference in the world today.