A Guide To Online ESL Certification – Is It Worth It?
A Guide To Online ESL Certification
Thinking about getting your ESL certification online? An ESL certification can help you stand out as an educator and open up new career opportunities.
However, there are a lot of different types of ESL certificates available and it’s not always clear which one is right for you.
It is possible to teach online or abroad without ESL certification, but the entire journey will be uphill.
Because the truth is:
Teaching English as a foreign language is not easy. So any type of ESL certification can set you miles apart from someone without it.
Keep reading to get answers to your questions about online ESL certification, including how they work, what type of jobs they can help you get, and which programs are worth the investment.
READ MORE: The 15 Best TEFL Courses and Certification
What is an ESL Certification?
An ESL certification is a qualification that indicates proficiency in teaching English to non-native speakers. There are different types of ESL certifications, such as:
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification
- CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification
- TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certification
While there is some overlap between the different types of certifications, they are mostly used in different industries and teaching contexts. But TEFL certification is the most common type for those who want to teach abroad.
No matter which type of certification you get, it will be a tangible demonstration of your skills and knowledge in the field of English teaching that can help you get jobs. It can also make you more attractive to employers in other fields like education and social work.
Why Get an ESL Certification?
There are plenty of benefits to getting an ESL certification, both in the short and long term.
- TEACHING QUALIFICATIONS: ESL certification is an important qualification for those who wish to teach English as a second language. It demonstrates that the holder has the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively teach ESL learners.
- HIGHER PAY: You can increase your earning potential by getting a higher-paying job. Depending on the type of certification you get, you can also get a promotion at your current job or even switch to a completely different career path.
- CONFIDENCE BOOSTER: Not only is ESL certification a great skill to add to your resume, but it can help you feel more confident about your abilities as an educator. Specifically, those ESL certifications with a teaching component help boost your confidence as a teacher.
- TEACHING JOBS: ESL certification can open doors to opportunities in a variety of settings, including schools, universities, businesses, and private language institutes.
- SATISFY VISA REQUIREMENTS: There are some countries that will only give you a visa if you have a teaching certificate. In this case, certification is a must-have in order to teach abroad.
So no matter what your reason is to get ESL certification, there are a variety of reasons to pursue it.
Which ESL Certificate Should You Get?
There are many different types of ESL certificates available, and the best one for you depends on your goals and needs. If you want to teach ESL in the United States, for example, you’ll need a different certificate than if you want to teach in another country.
The most common ESL certificates are the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and the TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language). Both of these certificates are internationally recognized and will allow you to teach ESL in just about any country in the world.
READ MORE: How is TEFL Certification Different From TESL and TESOL?
If you’re looking to get an ESL teaching job in the United States, however, you’ll need to get a different certificate. The CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is the most popular certificate for teaching ESL in the US. It’s offered by Cambridge University in the UK, and it’s recognized by most US universities and colleges.
So, which ESL certificate should you get? It really depends on your goals and needs. If you want to teach ESL internationally, either the TEFL or the TESL will work well for you. If you want to teach ESL in the United States, however, you’ll need to get the CELTA.
What Key Factors Should you Consider for ESL Certification Online?
There are plenty of online ESL certification programs for you to choose from, and they are usually offered in a flexible manner that allows you to work full-time while studying. Most online ESL certification programs are designed for people with busy lives and full-time jobs who don’t have time to take a part-time on-campus course.
There are a few things you should look for in an ESL certification program.
- REPUTABLE ACCREDITATION: First, the program should be accredited by a recognized accreditation body. This will ensure that the program meets certain standards and has been vetted by a third party.
- 120+ HOURS OF COURSEWORK: Second, the program should offer a comprehensive curriculum that covers all aspects of ESL instruction. If there was a gold standard in the world of TEFL, it would be that the course should be at least 120 hours of coursework.
- TEACHING PRACTICE: Third, the program should have experienced and qualified instructors who can provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to be a successful ESL teacher. We always recommend taking live teaching practice to brush up on your teaching skills.
Finally, take a look at any of the bonuses the course has to offer. For example, the program may offer support services, such as job placement assistance or TEFL internship opportunities to help you transition into your new career.
Which ESL Certification Courses Are the Best?
First, we highly recommend for you take a look at our list of the top 15 TEFL certificate courses before you decide on a TEFL course. But if you’d like to take a sneak peek at our top 5 options, here they are:
Our Top 5 Picks
The TEFL Academy
The TEFL Academy offers a wide range of courses to suit every need and budget. Whether you’re looking for an online course, an intensive in-person course, or a specialized course for your specific needs, they have you covered.
Overall, The TEFL Academy has an excellent reputation in the industry. Their graduates highly recommend their program and their job guidance can open doors for you. If you’re interested in learning more about TTA, check out our review of the TEFL Academy for more information.
Is ESL Certification Worth It?
The short answer: YES.
While there are plenty of new and upcoming fields that might seem more exciting than teaching English as a second language, ESL teachers are in high demand. There are always more job openings than there are candidates.
The ESL field is wide-reaching, and English teachers can be found in just about any country you can think of. This means there are plenty of career options for anyone with ESL certification, and you don’t need to stay in academia forever. All things considered, an ESL certification is a valuable skill set to have and can get you a higher-paying job.
Plus, you can use your new skills to help others learn English and connect with the world around them. An ESL certification is worth the investment, especially when it comes to helping you achieve your career goals.
A Guide To Online ESL Certification
Online ESL certification can help you in the following ways:
- Every future ESL class you teach will require a solid knowledge of English grammar and how to plan your lessons.
- To get admitted to a good English language school or online platform, online ESL certification boosts your chances of employment.
- And even if you don’t ever plan to teach online or abroad, the skills you learn can help you learn the English language.
An ESL certification can help you gain more confidence in your traveling and teaching abilities and earn more money in the process. It is important to decide which type of certification you are interested in getting to find the best program for your situation.
You can also choose to get an ESL certification online if you don’t have time to take a course on campus. With any luck, this guide helped you understand what an ESL certification is and how it can help you advance in your career as an educator. Now it’s time to decide which certificate is best for you and get to studying!